Old 24-09-2009, 11:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Advice needed for replacement pump

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:30:53 EDT, Chip wrote:

-snip-
I've had this same design problem. One big pump with big pipes and
expensive multi-valves for regulation of filter(s) flow(s), waterfall
flow, fountain flow, etc, or smaller individual pumps with smaller pipes
and AC switches when not wanted.

I guess 'expensive' is in the eye/pocketbook of the beholder. I went
with a larger pump, 1 1/2" flexible PVC & built a manifold with 5
valves.

These valves are $5.07 ea-

http://www.antonline.com/p_American-...VE-_345733.htm
so for $25 I can fool around with different flows on different lines.
right now one line goes to the bog, another to the falls, and a 3rd to
a UV light.[pure magic- figure one into your setup]

The fourth will feed a veggie filter & water feature when I get to it.

Another option- and I wonder what others think- is to use 2 pumps so
if one dies you have another that can run the necessities until the
replacement arrives. My inclination, now that I'm already setup,
is to buy a spare & swap them out if needed.

Jim