Old 26-09-2009, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Hedychiums

"Sacha" wrote ...
Charlie Pridham
said:
Taking a deep breath, we're going to try a Hedychium outside this year.
It's the one called Tara and it will be in a pot 'sort of' in the lee
of the house and Tea Room walls but not tucked right into them. It
seems worth a try to see how it gets on and at least we do have others
if it does keel over. Watch this space! Apart from David P who has to
slash his way through his personal jungle, has anyone else tried this
outside over-winter and if so, in which location?

Sacha nearly all the Hedychiums are perferctly root hardy, we grow about
14 different species in the garden and apart from the more tender ones
flowering rather late have no problems at all with them, but I would
recommend in the ground rather than a pot if possible as the "for sale2
plants in their containers suffered badly last winter while all the
garden ones have flowered as normal

Thanks for all that, Charlie - we'll do that. I think that *usually* our
winters are marginally more severe than yours, though I know last year was
an exception to that and by a long way! We're probably going to organise
at least one of the house borders this autumn/spring, so we could try some
in there, as long as they don't block the windows! And down the church
walk might be a good sunny spot for them, too but without parching them.

That is our problem, parching in summer, I've often considered planting them
here but the summers are so dry these days I would constantly need to water
them. Even had Zonal Pels wilt this summer!

--
Regards
Bob Hobden