Old 26-09-2009, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default mystery fruit jam. Is it safe?

On 2009-09-26 16:35:51 +0100, TerryJ said:

On Sep 26, 4:08*pm, "Roger" wrote:
"TerryJ" wrote in message

I wonder if anyone here could please help me to identify this fruit
before my friend, who has made jam out of it, poisens himself.
I think I have persuaded him to wait until we have some idea what it
is.

The bush is more than 15years old , possibly many decades old, in an
old garden near Nottingham.
Pictures are to be found he

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z...ry%20berries/?...

TerryJ

Ornamental crab apple, should be fine to use.

thanks for your response. The problem is that it has a single hard
stone , like a plum. i have put another pic on the same place.

Is it is that Prunus cerasifera we had a thread on some time ago - the
cherry plum? I didn't know what it was and it was ID'd for me as that.
I think the thread was Unknown fruit. Someone posted that there was a
particularly good crop of it this year because the cold winter had held
back the blossom. So, when the blossom did arrive it was at the right
time for pollination. Some people - includiing me - were unaware of
ever having seen it before.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com