Old 26-09-2009, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Alan is offline

Default dead cat update

In message , Sacha
wrote

Putting down poison to harm animals, other than by licensed operators

e.g. those dealing with rats and mice, is illegal.

Are you sure of that? How many people on this group kill pests on a
regular basis using chemical means and poisons? I'm sure that everyone
on here spent a fortune on humane ways of discouraging snails and slugs.

You can buy poison bait for rats and mice in most hardware stores and
many garden centres. The shop does not ask for prove of identity when
purchasing.

Cats are deemed to be beyond the control of their owners in the sense
that they cannot be confined to one area alone.

It's this type of misinformation that causes the problem in the first
place. If irresponsible cat owners believe that their pets cannot be
confined then others should have the option of dealing with the problem
in any way that stops it.

We don't have cats and wouldn't because of the importance of birdlife
to us on every level. But nothing will persuade me that poisoning cats
is in any way acceptable.

If is deemed suitable for other pests then why not for cats? I suppose
to keep within the law someone putting down baited food for rats or mice
could put up a sign in his own property warning the owners of cats not
to let them on the property.

With milder winters and an increase of the rodent population it will
become more likely that a cat owner who doesn't bother controlling
their pet will find that they have eaten something previously poisoned.

--
Alan