Old 26-09-2009, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
TerryJ TerryJ is offline

Default mystery fruit jam. Is it safe?

On 2009-09-26 16:35:51 +0100, TerryJ said:

On Sep 26, 4:08*pm, "Roger" wrote:
"TerryJ" wrote in message

I wonder if anyone here could please help me to identify this fruit
before my friend, who has made jam out of it, poisens himself.
I think I have persuaded him to wait until we have some idea what it
is.

The bush is more than 15years old , possibly many decades old, in an
old garden near Nottingham.
Pictures are to be found he

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z...ry%20berries/?....

TerryJ

Ornamental crab apple, should be fine to use.

thanks for your response. The problem is that it has a single hard
stone , like a plum. i have put another pic on the same place.

Is it is that Prunus cerasifera we had a thread on some time ago - the
cherry plum? *I didn't know what it was and it was ID'd for me as that.
*I think the thread was Unknown fruit. *Someone posted that there was a
particularly good crop of it this year because the cold winter had held
back the blossom. *So, when the blossom did arrive it was at the right
time for pollination. *Some people - includiing me - were unaware of
ever having seen it before.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.

thanks , I shall have a look at prunus spp and cornus