Old 26-09-2009, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts David WE Roberts is offline

Default Winter cometh

"Sacha" wrote in message
Very slight whiteness on big the lawn this morning, where there is less
tree canopy and shelter from the house. But it's another beautiful,
sunny, crisp day - just the sort of autumn day that is perfect. Just
looking from our bedroom window we have Romneya, Cimicifuga, Fuchsias,
Dahlias, Helianthus, Crinums, Salvias still flowering well.
--
Sacha

Err....planning to go swimming in the sea next week.

The outdoor tomatoes are still growing and flowering and cropping like mad.
The lawn is still pretty scorched.

The bottom right hand side of the country seems to be in a completely
different climate at the moment - perhaps related to the jet stream?
[However, up in Derbyshire for my birthday, near where we used to live, and
it has been a glorious day :-) ]

If the hot weather would just last another month or so I might just get a
second crop off the fig tree (strangely, the first crop of only one fig
disappeared over night without trace).

I know autumn is looming because the trees are starting to change colour but
we are hanging on to summer like grim death and refuse to accept that it may
be over any time soon.
The only change seems to be that the mornings are a bit cloudy and the heat
doesn't come through untill mid-day.

Strange, because a few years back we spent a glorious holiday in November in
St. Ives and the Lost Gardens with sunny days and clear warm nights, so I
don't know why the south west is having worse weather this year.

My current problem is the lawn - usually this would be the time to seed any
bare patches and do the autum weed and feed but is is not yet growing
strongly enough.

Oh, well - no doubt all will be gray and soggy soon enough.

Treasure your autum frosts and mellow fruitfullness, but NIMBY!

Cheers

Dave R