Old 27-09-2009, 03:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Timothy Murphy Timothy Murphy is offline

Default Time for pruning?

Spider wrote:

I was planning on a harsh pruning of my small garden near Dublin,
which has grown rather wild, but I was surprised to read here
that this was not a good time of year for such action.

Is that really true?
I always thought that it was better to wait until leaves had fallen,
and the shape of things could be seen more clearly.

It depends hugely upon what you are pruning, and why. Apples are pruned
in winter, except for trained (cordon, espalier, etc) apples, which are
pruned
in summer. Reason: winter pruning promotes lots of new growth; summer
pruning limits it.
All prunus trees and shrubs (but esp. plums and cherries) must be
spring/summer pruned in good weather to prevent Silver Leaf disease
entering the cuts.

You really need to know what your plants are. If you do know, by all
means post a list here and we will try (I am bound to need help!) to guide
you. Otherwise, invest in The RHS/Dorling Kindersley Pruning & Training
guide.
The ISBN is 1-4053-0073-6. If you can't afford it (�19.99 when I bought
it), then I imagine that Trinity College, Dublin has a good library.

Thanks for your response.
I'll look at that book.

I think one at least of the shrubs is some kind of prunus.
I don't know now where the shrubs came from.
Probably most are from sales of work, etc.

There are a few roses that must have reached their dig-up date.
I'm not even sure if the spurs are wild rose from the roots;
how does one tell?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net