Old 27-09-2009, 09:34 AM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon loosecanon is offline

Default Growing Asters from seed

"tathraman" wrote in message
I've sown DT Brown's pompom mixed and Yates colour carpet with about
10% or less germination (which was very slow). Are they difficult to
get going?

Seed companies are notorius for putting less than ideal planting information
on their packets. So here is how they should be started:-

Pre-chill the packet of seeds in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.

Use a well drained seedling mix with no added fertiliser. Plant seeds at a
depth of 1.5mm. Ideal temperature 18 - 22 C maximum during the day. Seeds
should be up in 10 -14 days.

Then you have the choice of using mild liquid fertiliser or transplanting
into a good potting mix with some added fertiliser. I'd do that after the
2nd or 3rd set of leaves appear.