Old 27-09-2009, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Winter cometh

On 2009-09-26 23:13:42 +0100, DaveP said:

Sacha wrote:

It all sounds luscious but I like the sound of that white Nerine, David.

It came from your nursery originally - Ray gave me a couple of bulbs a
few years ago. Come to think of it, so did the sarniense hybrid. Oh
and a surprise for me today was that I noticed Justicia (Jacobinia)
carnea (smooth leaved form with purplish leaf undersides) is about to
flower. That it came through last winter albeit with some damage is
surprising, but for it to recover enough to flower just a few weeks
later than normal is quite remarkable.

Yes but we're not growing it in the garden! The Nerines we do have are
in precisely the wrong place, right at the back of the border under the
kitchen and office windows. I'm hoping that border is going to be
re-done this autumn and next spring because it needs a bit of
re-organisation. Is that the Justicia carnea that we sell as the dark
leaf form - must be, I should think. It's not something I can see
surviving here but who knows, maybe it's another that's worth a try in
a house border. We lost Salvia confertiflora in one of the garden
borders last winter, not really surprisingly but I want to re-plant it
because it's such a lovely late addition to the garden. And the Crambe
cordifolia behaved poorly this year - one clump flowered but the other
sent out huge leaves and no flowers, leaving a rather sparse effect.
The Amicia zygomeris has grown and is blooming well, a bit to our
surprise because we really thought that had gone for the chop in the
frost. I think it must have been well enough protected by the house
and the other things growing around it.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com