Old 28-09-2009, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nitromax® Nitromax® is offline

Default Gooseberry bushes

I have two gooseberry bushes that put on a decent growth
spurt this year. However, the caterpillars approved of the
new growth and during the course of just three days ate
pretty much all of it.

I picked off as many as I could but there were hundreds of
the buggers most of them rather small. A blast with the
hose pipe was the most effective method and finally got
rid of them.

Now I have two rather bare bushes, the only leaves left are
those from last years growth. Assuming I can keep the
caterpillars at bay next year, what are the chances of
the bushes recovering?

Would I be better off doing some hard pruning, leave it alone
or will the new growth come back?

T.I.A

--
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you
realise you're wrong.