Old 28-09-2009, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nitromax® Nitromax® is offline

Default Gooseberry bushes

wrote in message

They'll regrow their leaves next year. No need to do anything now. But
next year, keep an eye out for the caterpillars, and spray with a
suitable killer as soon as they appear, targeting the underside of the
leaves where they hide. If you don't like using chemicals, soapy water
(ex washing-up) may also work.

If I can tag on a question of my own: My books say that gooseberries
don't need pruning, but in recent years I've had a dramatic downturn
in quantity of fruit, with or without caterpillars, and the bushes are
straggling a bit. Does the panel thing that pruning would improve
yield, or at least not reduce it any more?

Chris

Thanks, I will leave it to nature and see what happens.

--
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you
realise you're wrong.