Old 28-09-2009, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Gooseberry bushes

"K" wrote in message
If I can tag on a question of my own: My books say that gooseberries
don't need pruning, but in recent years I've had a dramatic downturn
in quantity of fruit, with or without caterpillars, and the bushes are
straggling a bit. Does the panel thing that pruning would improve
yield, or at least not reduce it any more?

From what I've read, they fruit better on younger wood, so you could try
cutting out some of the old gnarly branches.
--
Kay

Harvest and prune in one fell swoop. Cut off the branches with fruit and
take them to the table to pick the fruit off. Both jobs done. This works
with blackcurrants etc too.

Steve