Old 29-09-2009, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Broadcast spreader

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 14:44:48 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 03:27:55 GMT, "brooklyn1"
wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 00:17:53 GMT, "brooklyn1"
wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
My $40 Scotts broadcast spreader is going to the trash heap, never
again will buy a Scotts product. This spreader is literally
falling apart and I have kept good care of it. I'm looking for a
new walk behind spreader that will last a few years and better
quality. The Lowes and Home Depot sell cheap spreaders (I guess
that is what sells), but we have a new Tracter Supply Co. store.
My local choices are limited as I am in a small town, anyone have
comments on this one for use on one acre of fescue lawn?

Pro Broadcast Spreader with rain cover 100# capacity 4404303
(sale $118)

http://tinyurl.com/lwd3r7

I think this brand is "Harvest" but not sure. Any comments?

How many years did your $40 spreader last?

I used it 4 or 5 times.

Should have lasted a lot longer than that with no care... what
specifically became damaged.

The plastic parts failed, feed locking mechanism, cracks around the
hopper rivets. More importantly, it is not broadcasting product
evenly (drop spreaders are worse on sloped lawn). Not damaged, but
the wheels are just too small, the spreader itself has trouble holding
a single 40# bag of pellitized lime. Turns a 30 minute job into an
hour. A larger swath would be better. Have not found other spreaders
as shown in the link, and would appreciate feedback on that one.

Was this spreader left outside - exposed to the sun? Cracks in the plastic
strongly suggests damage from the sun.

I do not keep any tools outdoors. And, I know the importance of
washing a spreader immediately after each use.

Lime seems to be the biggest killer of my broadcast spreaders. It is abrasive to
the gears if they are not well sealed, and the stirrer drive gears get
overloaded trying to stir through the lime.

I bought the spreader mentioned above and used it last week. Worked
like a charm and the large pneumatic wheels had no problems over
uneven ground. This spreader has three openings and the clear
rain-guard cover kept the leaves/debris out of the hopper. Hopefully
this one will last longer than the $40 cheapos.