Old 29-09-2009, 07:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Willshak Willshak is offline

Default New lawn Problems

on 9/29/2009 7:39 AM (ET) gavj wrote the following:
Hi All, our old lawn was always lovely and green but not very flat for
mowing with a flymo. So we decided to have a new lawn laid.

The old soil was dug out to a depth of 8 inch and refilled with washed
sand.

The sand was mixed with the soil that was taken out?
Humus was then added to the soil that was taken out?
Treated soil was then refilled?

The lawn looks very pale, uneven in growth and some bald spots. in fact
we could mow it for the first 2 months as there was no growth. It was
laid about 3 months ago and after having the company back we are still
watering regularly, feeding and now mowing every week.

I just wanted to know if anyone thinks the problems we are having are
from the turf being laid on sand. Whenever we stop watering the lawn
goes yellow and dried even though we had rain. Surely we cant be
expected to water daily now its 3 months old.

I wish we had never had the work done or had someone that was happy to
lay it on soil as the last lawn was pretty trouble free.

My other fear is that when summer comes round again the lawn will dry
and die and the company will say its not their problem as its been
layed a year.

We are in derbyshire U.K and as other know its been quite a wet summer
anyway.

Thanks Gav

--

Bill