Old 30-09-2009, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Leonard Alphonso Hale Leonard Alphonso Hale is offline

Default Runner bean question

It is possible to leave the roots of runner beans in the ground untill the
following year,the problem is, that ,
1 they will not crop so heavy,and will get less and less each year.
2 depends on weather, heavy frosts will kill the roots in the ground, as
wil a lot of rain, rot them,its a lazy way of gardening,some people lift the
roots like Dahlia roots ,store them in a dry shed then plant out in a trench
with plenty of farmyard manure, not to deeply dug!!I have found to get the
best Runner Beans,(And I Show)is to trench in farmyard manure/kitchen waste
and newspaper,in November, wait untill 1st last week in May scoop out a
shallow hole at the end of the trench ,broadcast the bean seed in, cover
with soil, leave untill they are 4 inches above ground then transplant into
the trench leaving an inch of trench uncovered to hold water, in the dry
weather!!!

url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/134451300.aspx