Old 30-09-2009, 08:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
DAVEJ DAVEJ is offline

Default garden shredders

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

I was considering buying a garden shredder. As I understand it there
are two types: one that has rotating blades, like a large food
processor. The pros are that it will cut leaves into a fine mulch but
the cons are that they are noisy, the blades quickly blunt, and they
don't like thick branches.

I understand there is a third model made by Bosch that uses a helical
blade. How does that compare? What are its pros and cons? Would that
work in my situation?

I have seen Bosch ones at all the DIY stores but I also noticed Aldi
and Focus are selling Einhell models, much cheaper than the Bosch. Who
are Einhell and are their machines any good?

Thanks,
Stephen.

I have the screw type bosch and it's great. The feed inlet is conical so a
3/4" branch can have a lot of leaves at the other end which can jam. Just
break branches up so all the leaves don't go through at once.
They are available on ebay just over £100. I bought mine off ebay 6-7 years
ago and it's been outside all the time. Shredded a 40ft cherry into less
than 1cube yd. this summer plus the logs -will shred as thick as a
thumb -not 38mm!
Sounds like a washing machine! Plus self feeding once the branch is put in.