Old 30-09-2009, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default groundhog problems

"OhioGuy" wrote:

There is a HUGE groundhog living under my shed. I see it in the back yard
once in a while, eating my morning glories. Today I went out to check on
the kale I planted in a raised bed, and I found that every single plant had
all the leaves eaten off! (about 4 inches up) I had really been looking
forward to having kale salads this fall - hopefully the plants will recover,
but I'm not so sure.

Anyway, is there any way to ensure that this groundhog won't do it again?
I live in the city, where unfortunately, I'm not allowed to simply shoot the
darn thing.

It's extremely rare for groundhogs to take up residence in cities. And
a large hedgehog is not going to easily subsist foraging your meager
greenery, they typically make their homes where meadows meet
forests, where there's lots of easily accessible vegetation. What do
you have stored in your shed? If there is anything edible like animal
feed (ie; dog, cat, hamster, bird food) or near where you keep your
trash cans then that would explain a hedgehog hanging around your
shed. In cities especially the easiest way to dispel unwanted
critters is to remove their food supply... the only reason that
hedgehog is living in or around your shed is because
you are feeding it, albiet inadvertantly. You are responsible for
attracting/luring that hedgehog so you need to carefully relocate it
to suitable habitat... if you do anything to harm that critter then I
pray the very same happens to you and your loved ones.