Old 30-09-2009, 11:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] kate@notme.com is offline

Default groundhog problems

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 20:46:09 GMT, brooklyn1
wrote:

"OhioGuy" wrote:

There is a HUGE groundhog living under my shed. I see it in the back yard
once in a while, eating my morning glories. Today I went out to check on
the kale I planted in a raised bed, and I found that every single plant had
all the leaves eaten off! (about 4 inches up) I had really been looking
forward to having kale salads this fall - hopefully the plants will recover,
but I'm not so sure.

Anyway, is there any way to ensure that this groundhog won't do it again?
I live in the city, where unfortunately, I'm not allowed to simply shoot the
darn thing.

It's extremely rare for groundhogs to take up residence in cities.

I think that depends on the city. NYC, Boston probably. I live a few
miles from downtown Nashville and I had a groundhog show up every year
for the peaches in my yard until a dog showed up in my yard and I kept
him. Gone was the groundhog, possums, rabbits and cats, although he
never killed one (I love that about my dog.) I love my dog, but miss
sharing the yard with some of the wildlife. Still lots of squirrels
and birds though.