Old 17-04-2003, 07:44 AM
~ jan

Default Active Carbon

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 22:29:02 -0600, John Rutz wrote:

Jan would you backup a bit on theat manure problem?? what happened ?
before another of my better ideas gets out of hand :-)

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

I use to use my sandy loam (90% sand, 10% loam if that) from my veggie
garden as the media for all of my aquatic plants. Back in 1999, middle son
wanted to do something nice and I had mentioned he could rake in one row of
steer manure for me. Well he decided to be extra nice and rake manure into
all the rows. Thus, the soil I used for 3 baskets of iris had a heavy dose
of steer manure. I had the BRIGHEST green suspended algae bloom for several
days before I pulled those baskets out. Many water changes and double doses
of BZT and I was all clear again.

Interesting was the test on my filter. By midnight of each night the filter
could actually sieve the suspended algae out of the pond and it would be
clear enough to see the bottom. Minute the sun was up, bright green, the
algae could out compete the sieving action of the filter.

Course now I use rocks for my iris and many other similar marginal plants.
So did I talk you out of it? ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~