Old 01-10-2009, 02:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bert Byfield Bert Byfield is offline

Default groundhog problems

Good advice but I'd make sure Hav-a-hart was big enough. When I
bought mine it was the 2nd largest which will take a groundhog
but is too small for the large raccoons that often torment me.

You may not have to buy one. Various local organizations (Animal
Rescue League, Animal Control, Dept. of wildlife conservation,
etc. may be set up to lend you one for the duration. Call around.
gloria p

The trap idea only works once for a smart animal. I had a raccoon who
would reach *under* the trap and pull the bait apart and then eat the
scratchings. Nothing would get him to go in the *door* of the trap,
since he had been there and done that and got the shirt and once was
enough thank you very much.