Old 01-10-2009, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
lloyd lloyd is offline

Default Honeysuckle?

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 10:50:38 +0100, K wrote:

lloyd writes
Hello all. Looking to pick your brains if I may.

I have a 6ftx12ft trellis which I want to cover with a nice simple
limited maintenance honeysuckle. I see there are many varieties and
thought maybe I could go for one of each type of thing?

I also considered clematis but it seems a lot of effort for a very
short flowering, think my little one only last a week but it is
crammed in a corner next to the toms.

Whatever you do, don't go for anything too vigorous. Clematis montana,
for example, would cover the trellis satisfyingly fast and then be a
total nightmare of cutting back thereafter.

If you're not worried about evergreen, my choice would be two
honeysuckles with good scent, one flowering early in the year and one
flowering in late summer. And with honeysuckles, you also get the
benefit of clusters of translucent red berries - very decorative, though
one doesn't usually think of honeysuckles for berries.

If you go for clematis, consider one of the alpina types which will
follow up its blue flowers in the spring with fluffy white seedheads.

Think I'll give the clematis a miss. Garden centre was shut!! So I
stopped at the local bitsa yard that sells everything cheap..

Found some
Lonicera Henri honeysuckle
Californian Lilac
and a couple of Jasmine all at £1.80 each.

Think I'll stick the honeysuckle and jasmine on the trellis, what do
you think?