Old 01-10-2009, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith M Smith Judith M Smith is offline

Default Runner bean question

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 21:49:01 +0100, "Pete C"
wrote:

I posted this a while back but I can't see it. Apoligies if you see it
twice.

I have runners growing in my garden, and also on the allotment. The ones
from home are far more stringy and tougher than those on the lotty. Bean
seed from same packet, fed and watered the same. Only difference is the
soil. At home it's kinda average, on the plot, it's heavy clay. Is this the
reason for the difference?

One year I grew two rows.

For one row I dug a trench - put newspaper in - put the product from
my wormery in - put more newspaper in.

Planted plants (from seed in greenhouse) then treated both rows
exactly the same.

There was a very noticeable difference between the two rows - the
"wormery & paper" were much better in every respect.

I always use Red Rum - water and feed one a week - - prefect every
year.

Apology : I think I have in the past said that they grew clockwise
when viewed from above - they don't they grow anti-clockwise when
viewed from above (at least this year ;-)