Old 01-10-2009, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Edward Edward is offline

Default Tomato Problems

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 16:16:37 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Edward" wrote ...
http://www.dadooda.com/index.cfm/fa/...ibrary_ID/6046

See photo of problem above.

90% of my plum tomatoes have an internal problem - blackening - appear
to be going rotten. There is nothing wrong with the taste away from
the blackened area - other than there isn't much!!

There is no indication of any problem from the outside whatsoever -
they appear to be in perfect condition.

Ideas please.

Remembered something but not completely so looked it up ....
Are the top leaves wilting and turning yellow? Dry dark brown to black
patches on the stems?
If so it's Tomato Pith Necrosis caused by a bacterium, Pseudomonas
corrugata, spread by water splashes, hands and tools. Control is remove and
burn all affected plants, sterilise all tools, careful with the watering
don't splash the plants, clean hands.

Spot on - with the wilting and brown black stems.

Many, many thanks

I just love uk.rec.gardening !!!

(and the people in it of course :-)

(PS I see "The bacterium may be seedborne" - interesting that the
seeds were cheap ones from a supermarket - not a variety which was
familiar to me. I bought, and grew them as an experiment!!)