Old 01-10-2009, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bobo Bobo is offline

Default groundhog problems

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:37:03 -0500, "OhioGuy" wrote:

There is a HUGE groundhog living under my shed. I see it in the back yard
once in a while, eating my morning glories. Today I went out to check on
the kale I planted in a raised bed, and I found that every single plant had
all the leaves eaten off! (about 4 inches up) I had really been looking
forward to having kale salads this fall - hopefully the plants will recover,
but I'm not so sure.

Anyway, is there any way to ensure that this groundhog won't do it again?
I live in the city, where unfortunately, I'm not allowed to simply shoot the
darn thing.

I've trapped and drowned eleven of them this year. I live in the city,
but near a rr track which is some kind of groundhog highway. Use a big
havafhart and bait with apple pieces with a trail of pieces near where
they make their way to the garden. Sometimes they or something else
has learned how to eat the apple without getting trapped. Twice this
year I got a groundhog in an unbaited trap. I think they were used to
getting the apple and trying to find some when there wasn't any
tripped the trap. I made a plywood box the trap will fit in to fill
with water. Relocating just takes the problem to someone else. They
are devils in the garden and their holes break the legs of livestock.
Another one of those animals that overpopulate when man kills off the
predators.