Old 03-10-2009, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Marshalls

"Sacha" wrote ...
, Sacha said:
yaputa said:
Sacha wrote:
There was another of those 'successful germination tables' in today's
papers. I think Simpson's did best.

Not according to todays Telegraph.

So who was it? Our Telegraph is downstairs, so is the sleeping dog and
I'm not!

Okay - irritable dog but found it: Worst were Unwin's Glory of Seville
geraniums with a 73% failure rate. Best was Nicky's Nurseries had an
average success rate of 94%. Unwin's, Plants of Distinction Begonina Non
Stop Mocha, , Simpson's Seeds Hestia runner beans, Unwin's White Lisbon
spring onions and Simpson's White Lisbon spring onions were all in the
worst category.
In the best was Nicky's Nurseries, Dobies, Suttons, Johnsons, Mr
Fothergills, all taken on an average success rate. The source was Which?
Gardening.

So who did they miss testing? Did they test Thomas Etty Esq, Marshalls and
Seeds of Italy?
Unwins seems to do badly from what you say yet I've had no noticeable
problems with their veg seed.
With all seed companies I've had the occasional "bad" packet of seed that
won't germinate well, I've never noticed it to be company specific.

Which! That gives me a problem.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden