Old 04-10-2009, 06:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default ?poisonous plants killing my koi

avz10 wrote:
I have rebuilt my pond and added a "flower box" under the water fall. I
have tried on numerous occasions to put fish back, one or two at a
time, but they all die.

I have tested the pH, etc of the water, the paint is safe to koi, so I
suspect the plants.

Any ideas what might be the culprit, or other ideas?

[image: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i.../IMG_1819.jpg]

[image: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i.../IMG_1820.jpg]

[image: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i.../IMG_1821.jpg]

[image: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i.../IMG_1822.jpg]

[image: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...MG_1575-2.jpg]

[image: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i.../IMG_1689.jpg]

Thanks!

I have standard freshwater aquarium experience rather than koi experience
but I suspect that both sorts of fishkeeping have a lot in common. First
impression is that you have water-quality problems. Have you neutralized
the chlorine or chloramines in the water? Have you provided a starter
culture of "good" bacteria (commonly called "grunge" water by fishkeepers)?
Do you have a proper filtration system with sufficient area for microbe
growth? Is the temperature suitable for the fish you add and did you take
the time to acclimatize the fish to the water to prevent shock?

Beyond that I'd suggest that you forget about koi for a while and start out
with some small "feeder" goldfish from the pet store. They are cheap and
rugged and are quite suitable for letting the water develop properly.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]