Old 04-10-2009, 10:01 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollie38 View Post
Could someone please give me a little bit of advice . We have just taken out 7 golden Leylandi trees which had gone all brown and must admit did look a bit of a mess so hubby decided to cut them down . They are planted in our rockery and was wondering before I am able to plant anything will I have to treat the soil, as lately nothing seems to grow there as the ground is very dry even though it was watered on a daily basis in the summer.

Many thanks
Mollie
Hi mollie, You don't say how big the Leylandii trees were? but assuming that they were a reasonable size, this would account for the arid conditions around them as not only do they take up alot of water in their own right, they also 'sheild' the soil fom natural rain. You say you 'took them out' but also that you 'cut them down', if its the former then just the addition of some organic matter and base fertilizer when replanting will suffice. If the latter is true and you just cut them down then you will need to remove the stumps and as many of the roots as possible before replanting.
Regards Lannerman.