Old 05-10-2009, 10:59 AM
mollie38 mollie38 is offline
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi mollie, You don't say how big the Leylandii trees were? but assuming that they were a reasonable size, this would account for the arid conditions around them as not only do they take up alot of water in their own right, they also 'sheild' the soil fom natural rain. You say you 'took them out' but also that you 'cut them down', if its the former then just the addition of some organic matter and base fertilizer when replanting will suffice. If the latter is true and you just cut them down then you will need to remove the stumps and as many of the roots as possible before replanting.
Regards Lannerman.
Many thanks for your speedy response The trees were enormous we had 7 in total, we have taken them down to the soil level trying to get the roots out though is a nightmare have been on a few sites which say drill holes in the stumps of the trees and put various chemicals down. what I was going to ask if its impossible to take all the stumps out of the ground will that still make the ground dry and will I be able to plant there all I want is some low maintenence plants and shrubs as we are now both in our sixties we just want something that is easy to manage.

Regards
Mollie