Old 05-10-2009, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
lloyd lloyd is offline

Default Rats and Hedgehogs

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 21:46:00 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"lloyd" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 19:25:40 +0100, "mark"
wrote:

"lloyd" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 18:12:20 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 21:22:05 +0100, lloyd wrote:

Anything we can do to encourage the hedgehogs, but not the rats from
visiting the garden? I have both

1. Terrier from working lines.
2. Huge cat.

Yes get some terrier men in.for your rats. Mine come about every six
weeks
to sort them out.
I do have a huge cat, but he's a bit of a wuss about tackling the big
ones
with the brown chisel teeth. He sorts out the small ones, no problem,
but
those big ones, they're a job for the terriers, he claims ;-)
And he's right. some of the big ones even give the terriers a run for
their
money, antiseptic needed to dab their bleeding noses where they've been
well
bitten by a big rat. They don't seem to mind though, it seems to make
them
more determined..

Tina

That sounds completely horrid. Why should anyone want to kill a rat
just because it's a rat, is that a crime for the poor beast to be a
rat? And if you feel you really must kill them why do it in such a
nasty way! I dread to think what you feel we should do with our feral
children.

They are not just rats though. They are a danger to health

No more so than many other animals or insects such as hedgehogs,
pigeons, flies, deer.

Yes, they are, they carry Weils disease through their urine

No *they* don't. They *can* carry it but then so can many animals
including dogs and cats. Even slaughterhouse workers have been known
to catch it.

and if you pick
it up from them you can kiss your kidneys goodbye.

Rubbish, though it can happen.

Why do you think the
local council will come out to kill them for you?

Old habits die hard and I suppose they need to waste our taxes on
something. The best salesmen in the world are pest control companies.
The most gullible buyers are the public.