Old 05-10-2009, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
aquachimp aquachimp is offline

Default Are you 'old'? (Sod all to do with gardening, so if you don'tlike it ......don't open it)

On Oct 4, 11:55*pm, wrote:
In article ,

soup wrote:
aquachimp wrote:
is there a British agency that I can contact about a suspect
case false advertising and if there is what is it called?

ASA ? (Advertising Standards Agency)

While one can contact it, doing so is just a waste of time. *If
the false advertiser is a small organisation, it may well get
nasty to them. *If it's a big, powerful one (the usual case),
it will do everything possible to ensure that no action is taken.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thank you both;

Nick, that's a great pity; these things ended up costing me less than
£28, all in. It wont break the bank. At first I just shrugged my
shoulders at the vague expectation that my being in Belgium
disqualifies me from a refund, albeit that I was irked by the scent of
false advertising. My real concern is that IMO, these things
(Silverline ear defenders) are actually dangerous.

I wouldn't want anyone here to accidentally be duped into buying them.

naturally, I'm very disappointed that Amazon UK still have them for
sale despite being told that there is an issue regarding its product
description. And naturally I'm aghast that Amazon UK's tactic of
avoiding responsibility by playing the multiple email addresses game.
They are insisting that my email request for a refund differs from the
email address they have. Nonsense, I have only the one account with
them and only the one email address for years if not from the start
and the time of purchase and the time asking for a refund were done
was through their site.
Their last response on this made mention that they understand that
people use multiple addresses. "Understand" sound more like "Counting
on it" in that context.

My much younger work-mate had already offered to buy them from me. He
was dead impressed by the 'super hearing' aspect, despite its lack of
directional usefulness, but I turned him down because, as I say, I
think they're dangerous to ones hearing. Though later when he heard
just how reliable the 'super-hearing' was he became less interested. I
of course made sure to tell him.