Old 05-10-2009, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Bonfire ash

'Mike' wrote:
Would bonfire ash be an accelerator on a compost heap?

For the last two weeks I have been clearing and burning Bulrushes and
consequently have a goodly pile of ash. The compost heap has also been
growing and will grow even more when I get in and clear the stream.

I propose to mix ash with greenstuffs and build the compost heap even
bigger.

Right or wrong?

It is a waste of the potash rich ash and charcoal. best places to put t
are under your fruit trees, bushes and canes and/or where you intend to
grow onions next year. They seem to like a bit of charcoal in the soil.

To much will burn things, but the right amount is beneficial. potash is
very soluble and so will wash out and away in the winter rains. It
should go directly on the soil where it is needed.

Don't use ash from CCA treated timber on fruit or veg patches.

Regards,
Martin Brown