Old 06-10-2009, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_4_] Ophelia[_4_] is offline

Default Lifting Onions

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote...

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"TheScullster" wrote
When should onions be lifted for storage, or should I have done this
already?
Most of the tops have died back to half-green or totally straw
coloured.
Do I just string them together and hang them in the garage, or is
there more to it?

We have had ours in storage for a couple of months already, how come
yours aren't dried out completely? If you don't store them asap they
will either rot or start to grow again.
Depends how dry the stalks are as to which way we store them, this
year as it was so dry the tops were completely dry and I just cut them
off (like the ones for sale) and stored in crates. Some years when
there is still sap in the stalk we tie together and hand in the shed
to dry completely.

You put yours up at the 'begining' of August?
Yep, they were completely dry by then.

Thanks, Bob My 'gardening' file grows apace)

I might add it's been a very dry summer here although the onions grew well
they did die off early and also dried well once lifted out of the ground
and left there in the sun.

Thanks Noted!