Old 06-10-2009, 12:32 PM posted to austin.gardening
[email protected] cinquefoil_5@yahoo.com is offline

Default Fall garden, etc.

I have given up on vegetable gardening for a while after this
miserable attempt this year.
I had loose leaf lettuce in the shade (started from seeds) that wilted
in the first heat.
I had bell pepper plants that never did more then give a few leaves,
and the tomato plants grew pretty gave me very small tomatoes
initially and very few and then died as the summer progressed.

I have been concentrating more on my front yard, as I have been for
the past two years, as I have started brand new there.
I had dug out all the grass and replaced it in some areas with Woolly
Thyme and Elfin Thyme. Some with a varieties of Ajuga and planted
vines along the fence. Irises, Daylilies and hostas also (under a
large fruitless Mulberry tree).

Its been a learning experience with much reading and then seeing what
I have read applied to reality. Reality is a great teacher.

I have also started working on a small side yard in the front by
building a small path by a gate, and starting a few ice plants and
some succulents.

On another side yard in the front I planted many sun perennials as
this side gets a lot of sun. They have done well .

I actually love planting in the fall because of the cooler weather. I
have found the plants seem to do quite well and are less strained by
the weather. The Ajuga I planted last year in the fall has done
beautifully and is spreading slowly as a ground cover. I have bought
some more Ajuga and planted more this last week. And went to Great
Outdoors (they have a lot of new plants there) yesterday and bought
some fall annuals (pansies along with some kind of daisy plant) and
some more Ajuga.

Thursday will be planting day, whether it rains or not.

Have a super
Anita