Old 06-10-2009, 07:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_8_] Billy[_8_] is offline

Default POTASSIUM NITRATE

In article
,
Eddie G wrote:

Hi,

I'm a pharmacist and have some potassium nitrate in the pharmacy. Can
I use this next spring in my vegetable garden? If so, how much? Just
a small dusting and work it into the ground? Can or should I work it
in the ground now and let it sit all winter?

Thanks!!

My post may attract a "crazy", but my investigation into chemferts
(a.k.a chemical fertilizers) boils down to them being bad for the soil,
if used as directed, or in greater amounts, and bad for the plants which
seem to love them. They are bad for the plants because the nitrogen is
stored in the plant leaves, and the nitrogen encourages fast growth,
which leads to young, tender, leaves that become targets for insects.
If you insist on using your nitrates, grow "organically", and use the
nitrates, at 1/4 strength or less, as a performance enhancer.
--
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
-Archbishop Helder Camara

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm