Old 08-10-2009, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Where have my apples gone?

Phisherman wrote:
snip...

Deer like them. I have seen them stand on their back haunches to get
apples. I thought dogs were strictly carnivores (never had a
dog--always wanted one) but I have seen them eat pears and apples, not
sure if that is good for them though. Caught a skunk using a slice of
apple, but actually trying to catch a muskrat. Personally, I love
apples and they are currently in season.

Dogs are very adaptable and one which is well-socialized to humans is
likely to try many "human" foods. I had a golden lab which had very human
tastes. For example she liked pizza with any sort of topping including
jalapeņo peppers. She like beer although I did limit her intake to far less
than she would have wanted. On the gardening side (keeping this on-topic)
she learned that she really loved sugar snap peas which I offered her as we
walked through the raised beds. This was cute until she decided that while
I was away she should pick her own which involved tearing down the vines
and stripping them. She also dug up beets and since I never saw any lying
about I'm assuming she was eating them. Probably her favorite human food
was ice cream sandwiches and whenever I brought some from the store I got
one, my wife got one, and Brandy got one (and she would have gladly eaten
ours too).

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]