Old 08-10-2009, 12:07 AM posted to aus.gardens
terryc terryc is offline

Default Is there anything better than Blood and Bone?

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 21:17:59 +1100, FarmI wrote:

:-)) I don't limit myself. I use cow poop, horse poop, blood and bone,
pelleted chook poop, bagged cow poop, seasol, 'Sudden Impact for Roses',
Blood and bone with added sulphate of potash, compost, rotted leaves and
anything else that comes to hand including elephant poop which grew the
best corn we've had yet. I also use fire ash and dolomite, rice hulls,
lucern chaff, hay and lucerne straw.

How much does all this cost each year?
In the last five years, "chicken manure" (floorscrappings from chicken
raising sheds) has doubled in price. This all sounds very expensive.

I have a big garden on poor soil which is finally starting to improve
and I feed it by direct fertilising, by mulching and with scavenging.

Works, but can take a few years to start getting decent crops.