Old 08-10-2009, 04:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
jeff jeff is offline

Default POTASSIUM NITRATE

Frank wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article
,
Eddie G wrote:

Hi,

I'm a pharmacist and have some potassium nitrate in the pharmacy. Can
I use this next spring in my vegetable garden? If so, how much? Just
a small dusting and work it into the ground? Can or should I work it
in the ground now and let it sit all winter?

Thanks!!

My post may attract a "crazy", but my investigation into chemferts
(a.k.a chemical fertilizers) boils down to them being bad for the
soil, if used as directed, or in greater amounts, and bad for the
plants which seem to love them. They are bad for the plants because
the nitrogen is stored in the plant leaves, and the nitrogen
encourages fast growth, which leads to young, tender, leaves that
become targets for insects.
If you insist on using your nitrates, grow "organically", and use the
nitrates, at 1/4 strength or less, as a performance enhancer.

Does this mean the original saltpeter from decayed organic material is
superior to chemically prepared material? I think not.

I believe the point Billy makes is that salting the soil (which is what
chemical fertilizers are) is not a fine idea as it kills soil organisms.
This makes sense to me. Is not Potassium Nitrate a salt?

Jeff

But, fast dissolving fertilizer is best applied sparingly to keep from
burning the plant.