Old 08-10-2009, 11:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Garden design in the 60's 70's and 80's

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Guy Pinder" wrote in message

Hi I've just joined Gardenbanter to try and solve a problem of garden
styles in the 60's 70's and 80's. There is lots of info on Georgian or
Victorian garden design (And even the fifties) but nothing on more
recent years. All I can remember of gardens back then were swings and
bikes not varieties of plants. Can anyone please help identify what
varieties of plants were fashionable and how they would have been used,
shrubbery, rockery hedge etc.

Hi Guy

Asking that sort of question in an ng which has international following
makes a sensible response a bit hard. I can tell you what they were like in
Australia during each of those periods but I can't imagine that knowing that
Australian native plant gardens were all the rage in the 70s and
unsuccessful largely because at that time there was limited knowledge of the
size to which some of the plants would get to as they matured probably
wouldn't be too useful to you.

I suggest you head off to a second hand book dealer because every one I have
ever been to has a LOT of gardening books for those decades. I go regularly
to replace my locally produced gardening book from the 60s.

With Farml's advice in mind I'd look at the Time-life series of
gardening by James Underwood Crockett. This is circa 1972. There is a
similar series circa 1960 but I can't find it or remember the details.

http://tinyurl.com/yasmyqo

Bill

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA