Old 08-10-2009, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Where have my apples gone?

SteveB wrote:
wrote in message
I heard on "The FiringLine Forums" that some coyotes like apples. On
YouTube they say that Gray Squirrels eat apples too.
KM

Correct on both counts. I had a coyote come out in broad daylight to feed
on crabapples (those that are about one inch in diameter) and it returned
several days in a row. I thought it was cute, being a newcomer to this
ranch life. I found out later that it had eaten a turkey, a cat, and a kid
goat at the neighbor's house.

Any squirrel eats apples.

Steve

Going by the "five feet" and "trampled ground" mentioned in the OP
squirrels seem to out of the question -- no reason that a squirrel would be
limited to that height an no squirrel could trample anything substantial.
Based on the same information the height and trampling seem to leave
coyotes out of the picture. But take even a small deer and five feet is
easy to accomplish even it if has to rear up on its hind legs and those
sharp deer hooves are likely to make a mess of the ground in short order.
My vote still goes for deer even in the OP is in the UK since they are
having a deer population explosion of major proportions and anywhere in
North America deer are common and fearless.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]