Old 09-10-2009, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Home Depot trees

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 13:11:41 -0700 (PDT), julie
wrote:

Hi there,

For the first time in my life I am buying trees, specifically fruit
and probably citrus.

Is Home Depot any good for this? There are a number of terrific
nurseries around here but it is a matter of time not money, if there
is even a difference. I am not sure. I was kind of caught by surprise
here.

What do you (all) say?

The big box stores get their nursery stock from the same local
wholesalers that supply the independant nurseries... look for how well
the individual store cares for their stock (watering, etc.), otherwise
there is no difference. However the big box stores typically give
better hasslefree guarantees, and they typically charge significantly
less. When I want something unique or of a larger than usual size I
know of some local wholesale/retail growers. Not knowing your
location I can't offer a recommendation and if you're going to grow
citrus I know you are not anywhere near me. If this is your first
attempt with fruit trees I'd keep to the most very basic plants such
as one finds at the big box stores... fruit trees are rather
inexpensive but you don't want to lose the time spent growing more
fussy stock until you gain experience in caring for fruit trees. Being
new you'd only become overwhelmed shopping the large growing
nurseries.