Old 09-10-2009, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Remeaux Bob Remeaux is offline

Default Advice needed on garden waste please

Heather-Whitty wrote:
I am carrying out research for a design project at Strathclyde
University and would like to know;

1. If your local council provides a kerbside recycling bin for garden
waste?
2. If they do is it a wheelie bin and which local council is it?
3. When working in your garden do you bring that bin to where your
working? Eg when gathering autumn leaves do you bring the bin to the
pile of leaves?

1 Yes
2 Halton Borough Council (Runcorn - Widnes) provide wheelie bins for
*some* areas - i.e. where houses predominantly have access to rear
gardens or reasonably sized front gardens they provide wheeled bins.
Elsewhere (terraced streets and 'new town' houses with bin cupboards at
the front, they don't generally do 'green' recycling, but then gardens
are often yards for these houses.
3 Half and half. we'll walk grass cuttings from the mower to the bin,
but if disposing of hedge trimmings we'll take the bin to the hedge.

Mother In Law lives in North Somerset; they do roadside 'green'
collections. The householder buys green heavy duty woven plastic type
bags (appx 1 metre cubed) for £1 or so, and if placed on the kerbside
(or top of the drive) they empty them into the lorry and return the bags
to approximately the right house.
We tend to do the heavy work, and the bags get moved to where they are
needed.