Old 17-04-2003, 11:44 AM
swroot

Default Natures Predictions

Ophelia wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message

[-]

Why does cows lying down mean rain?

LOL that was always my question when I was a child. They mght just have been
tired

That's what the man on R4 said the other day. Apparently they're not
keeping the grass dry, they're just feeling more tired than usual
because of the heat/humidity/etc that presages a rainstorm. Until the
man proves he's spoken to the animals and understood their replies, I
beg leave to doubt that one, too. *I* think it's a conspiracy, that in
fact cows teach their calves to lie down before it rains because they
know that pondering the reasons for their behaviour has wasted decades
of human time and brainpower. If it wasn't for cows lying down before it
rains, we'd have world peace, cold fusion, and faster-than-light travel.
Revenge is a dish best eaten cold, and the cows know it.

regards
sarah

--
"Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view,
is silence about truth." Aldous Huxley