Old 11-10-2009, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Walnuts

David in Normandy writes
alan.holmes wrote:

There has to be a better way than sitting down with nutcrackers and
spending ages to produce a tiny heap of bits.

I don't have trouble with nutcrackers, but it is quite possible that
if you close them too hard you will smash the kernels. Try being a
little more gentle when you are pressing the handles.

That is often easier said than done. I've often just increased the
force a little, nothing, so increased a little more then wham - pile of
mushed pulp! I think the secret is to get nut crackers with long
handles so you can apply more leverage but in a controlled manner.

You need nutcrakers suited to the size of nut - closed, they need to be
just a couple of millimetres smaller than the nut. It is hard to crack
walnuts without breaking if you're using nutcrackers capable of cracking
hazelnuts.

--
Kay