Old 11-10-2009, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
hugh hugh is offline

Default Advice needed on garden waste please

In message , echinosum
writes

Heather-Whitty;866484 Wrote:
I am carrying out research for a design project at Strathclyde
University and would like to know;

1. If your local council provides a kerbside recycling bin for garden
waste?

2. If they do is it a wheelie bin and which local council is it?
3. When working in your garden do you bring that bin to where your
working? Eg when gathering autumn leaves do you bring the bin to the
pile of leaves?

Thank you

1. We have a fortnighly kerbside collection of "compostable waste",
which unlike many council areas includes all food waste, and is
suitable for garden waste. They will only take one bin, and the lid has
to be closed, so if you have more waste, as we do from time to time,
you
have to take it to the tip. I can only just fit one lawn-mowing into
the
bin, provided I haven't waited too long since the previous mowing.
2. It's a wheelie bin. Chiltern District Council.
3. Only in the front garden. Though maybe once we take the child
security gate down I might take it into the back garden.

1. Yes and it is now free of charge, whereas previously under Crewe &
Nantwich Borough Council it was £20PA
2. Yes, Cheshire East Borough Council
3. Whichever is the most energy/time efficient for the job in hand (my
energy, that is). Large job bring the bin closer to reduce to and fro
journeys. Small job not worth moving the bin especially to the back
garden back garden

HTH
--
hugh