Old 11-10-2009, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan.holmes alan.holmes is offline

Default Walnuts

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
alan.holmes wrote:

There has to be a better way than sitting down with nutcrackers and
spending ages to produce a tiny heap of bits.

I don't have trouble with nutcrackers, but it is quite possible that if
you close them too hard you will smash the kernels. Try being a little
more gentle when you are pressing the handles.

That is often easier said than done. I've often just increased the force a
little, nothing, so increased a little more then wham - pile of mushed
pulp! I think the secret is to get nut crackers with long handles so you
can apply more leverage but in a controlled manner.

Could it be the way the nutcrackers are used, I always start with the
crackers aligned with the joint on the shell, then rotate the nut and lastly
go to the ends on the nut.

Alan

--
David in Normandy.