Old 11-10-2009, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

Default Soil sifter

On 11 Oct, 17:04, Bob Minchin wrote:
If you have stony soil and want to sieve it without the back ache and
arm ache of hand sieving, then I can thoroughly recommend the
electrically powered Scheppach RS400. I've just bought one of these and
it performs really well.

I can also imaging that it will be good for sieving any woody bits from
home compost.

Sieved soil drops out the bottom, into a barrow if you wish, and the
stones, roots etc are ejected out the end into a bucket or barrow.

I have no commercial interest in Scheppach, just a very satisfied customer.

There is video of the thing in action he-

http://files.recycleworks.co.uk/sifter-video.htm

Bob

And if you've got the kind of 'soil' that if you sieve it there's nowt
left......................................?
Actually you don't need to get too excited about a few or indeed a lot
of stones in your soil - it's a total waste of time trying to get them
out. I learned this many years ago when working with a bunch of
sicilians who knew all about stony soil - and they knew how to grow
stuff.
If I can, I bust up very stony ground with a micro digger (goes
through an 80cm gate), then rotavate and work in any organic material
I can lay my hands on, be a bit more generous where significant long
term plants are going to be planted

Rod