Old 11-10-2009, 11:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Overwintering water lettuce/hyacinth

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 07:33:38 EDT, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:

I tried to find what this was in response to, but couldn't figure it
out, so if I'm off base here I'm sorry. A conventional no-pest strip
in a tent is not a good idea, and here's why. No-pest strips give off
a constant (albeit low dose) vapor of toxic fumes or "pesticides,"
which is how they work. It is not a good idea to use these strips in
any area occupied by humans or animals (and quite probably most
plants). My wife and I researched this when we were living in Maui
and thought a "no-pest" type strip would be just the thing for our
(door less) outhouse -- it wasn't.

The pest strip is in a plastic tent outside. I used it this spring on my
hibiscus tree that got white fly, and in the living room when the taro came
down with aphids, this keeps the flumes encased. Though when I took the
tent off I'm sure we were somewhat exposed till the room cleared of the
residual left behind. Didn't bother the plants at all, of course I wouldn't
do this if I had fish in the stock tank or patio pond.

The hibiscus had white fly so bad, I was hoping moving it outside would
blow them away. What it did was infect my whole yard. The hibiscus
continued to produce them and looked very sick. Tented it with strip and it
killed them all, 2 weeks apparently wasn't long enough as they started to
come back, so I used these new potted plant tabs with the long acting
systemic and that did them in finally. Course their kin by that time had
moved to the grass... and then found the tomatoes and cucumbers. Even using
harvest spray (like Safer's soap) didn't knock down the numbers. I still
got enough produce, but I wasn't sorry to see the freeze last night do them
all in! ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us