Old 11-10-2009, 11:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Ponds vanishing

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 17:21:27 EDT, "ReelMcKoi" wrote:

In the past 6 months I've noticed people getting rid of their ponds.

Could be the fad is over in your area.

It looks to be going strong here in the PNW. We already have many new
volunteers to be on next year's pond tour and the chairperson had the
advertisers calling her, rather than the other way around this year, that's
a first. We took last year off, perhaps people and advertisers noticed?

I do know that things like predators or fish diseases that wipe out one's
collection can be seriously disheartening. If the pond isn't easy
maintenance or life changes have made them more chore then joy, something
like the above can make people give up and sell out.

If I didn't have my son to put up the hot wire because of the raccoons, I'm
not sure what I would have done instead of... .

I also think the economy plays a part in purchase of equipment for old
ponds and the start up of new ponds. If there isn't enough of a turn-over
in a particular area they aren't going to hang on to stock because they
can't be competitive with the internet. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us