Old 12-10-2009, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
jeff jeff is offline

Default Greenhouses

gunner wrote:
"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
I've been thinking about getting a greenhouse to extend my growing season
by a month or so on either end. Does any one have any experience with
them and have any suggestions about what to get? Costco has a $300 coupon
next week for a 8'x12' that will be $1300 after the discount. I assume at
that price it's going to be polycaronate not glass. They are also selling
an $8000 glass green house that's much nicer looking but I'm not sure
that I'm up for spending that much.

snip

A hoop
house might have been cheaper, lots of free plans on the Internet for those
but my wife wanted pretty and cheap as she wants to move.

Working on a modified hoop myself at the moment. Straight sides with
a hoop top. I just need 8' * 8' (all I have room for) and the curved
walls would take up foot print. I'm bending 10' 3/4" irrigation pvc
(thinner walls and cheaper) over 8'. That will arch up 2 1/2' and give
strength and a nice rounded top (for water to run off).

If it'll stop raining here, I can finish it! I think I just had my
second batch of kale wash out.

Jeff