Old 13-10-2009, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

Default Tree for interest

On 13 Oct, 14:55, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Whilst at Grand Designs Live, I heard a talk by James
Alexander-Sinclair, who I have to say was a most engaging and
informative speaker.

He encouraged us not to keep plants simply because they have been
there for a long time, saying that he often finds an overgrown
forsythia in a corner of a garden, boring for most of the year,
and constantly in need of cutting back.

This prompted me to think about replacements for mine. I have
room for a small tree, but wonder what is considered to provide
the greatest amount of year-round interest?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon *Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

If it appears overgrown it's in the wrong place and should be got out.
But try growing a forsythia somewhere that it can reach it's potential
without being mutilated, then you'll have something truly spectacular
- granted it's only for a short time but there aren't really that many
plants that grab your attention on every day of the year.
A good crab like 'Golden Hornet' isn't bad on year round interest - or
as Sacha has already suggested, almost any fruit tree - if it's a
Cherry be prepared to donate your crop to the birds or to protect it
(squirrels will destroy anything short of wire netting if there are
cherries the other side)
We all know about the wonderful foliage on Acers but many of them also
make wonderful winter shapes in maturity.

Rod